Beachgoers warned by health and safety officers for digging big hole in the sand for their son

A family had their day trip to the beach ruined after they were reported for digging holes in the sand.

Miranda Cottingham and her partner Nathan Crossley wanted to cheer their son up after he had come out of hospital so decided to play in the sand.

But as Nathan was busy shovelling, another beach-goer had reported the family and alerted the security at Cleethorpes in Lincolnshire.

The safety officers began to warn the couple about the dangers of digging holes in the sand and asked them to stop the activity.

Their son, Mason, had just come out of hospital after having four teeth removed.

Miranda Cottingham and her partner Nathan Crossley were asked to fill up a hole they had been digging because of health and safety

Miranda told Lincolnshire Live : “My son Mason is type one diabetic and just spent the Friday in hospital. He recently had four teeth removed.

“We wanted to comfort him after these trips, and he did not want any new toys, but simply wanted to go to the beach when the weather was beautiful.

“We were just shocked to find out that someone had reported us, given that people were digging holes all over the beach.”

The family were told to fill the hole in – which was around six feet wide and no more than five foot deep.

Another beachgoer had reported the family to health and safety officers

Read More

Top Stories from Mirror Online

The safety officers advised the family there may have been a risk of the surrounding walls of the hole to cave in when the tide starts to come in.

Miranda claimed that they made sure that the large hole was structurally sound.

She claimed: “We were safety conscious when digging the hole, so we made sure that the surrounding walls were solid.”

A manager for beach safety said: “His young son had been in hospital and he had promised him he would do it for his bucket list. He just wanted to take a picture of him in the hole and he later filled it in.”

Why digging holes at the beach is dangerous

This popular beach activity could result in unsuspecting people tripping or falling in the holes. In serious cases, people can get trapped under loose sand.

In some cases, large amounts of sand surrounding their body can be enough to cause suffocation.

In 2005, three-year-old Abbie Livingstone-Nurse died after falling in a 5-ft deep hole dug in the sand at the high tide mark at a beach in Cornwall.

In 2014 Isabel Grace Franks, 9, was digging a large pit at an Oregon beach, in Lincoln City, America, when it caved in and suffocated her to death

In 2015, Ross Mason, from Lincoln, was lucky to be alive after a tunnel he dug at Huttoft collapsed and buried him alive.

The father-of-eight had dug two big holes and joined them together to create a tunnel. It collapsed on him when he went to test it out

Source