These are the healthy snacks vegans should be eating
One of the trickiest things for new vegans could be figuring the best healthy snack foods to have. There are plenty of yummy of them.
Speaking to the founder of The Vegan Kitchen, Catherine Phillips about healthy snacks for a vegan diet that one can eat, below is what she said.
- In a bowl toss chickpeas with olive oil and season with salt, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Spread on baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until browned and crunchy.
- A 1-cup serving of chickpeas contains 14.5 grams of protein, 4.3 grams of fat and 45 grams of carbohydrates. Although 7.9 grams of these carbohydrates are sugars, another 12.5 grams comes from dietary fiber, which helps limit the effect of chickpeas on blood sugar levels.
- Pop some popcorn in a popcorn maker or on the stove with a little oil. Sprinkle nutritional yeast on and enjoy.
- Popcorn is surprisingly good for you. A generous three-cup serving has less than 100 calories, as much fibre as a cup of cooked brown rice, and more antioxidants than a day’s worth of fruits or vegetables, according to recent research from the University of Scranton.
- Once the pumpkin has been cut up, keep seeds to one side. Dry on paper towel. Toss in a little olive oil and bake. Or buy in most retail shops.
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of healthy oils, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. The fatty acids in the seeds contain omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber which have benefits for heart and liver.
Kale chips or baked kale
- Although kale can be steamed, sautéed, boiled or eaten raw, baking kale results in a crunchy snack food that is a healthy alternative to potato chips.
- A typical baked kale recipe contains 100 calories, 9 grams of fat and 1.5 grams of saturated fat in each serving.
- Unsalted cashew nuts are high in fat (around 50 percent), rich in vitamin E and a good source of minerals, particularly magnesium and zinc.
- While high in fat, all nuts are ranked highly for their healthy unsaturated fats.